Friday 14 September 2012

Heroes and Villains Convention 2012





I know it is a month after the fact but I think it would be remiss of me not to write something about the inaugural Heroes and Villains Convention; the first pop culture/comic convention to be held in my hometown of Penrith.

Firstly, I had no idea it was on until Brian Bucellato (writer and colourist of The Flash) tweeted he was coming to the event. I immediately assumed it was a typo. I clicked the link in order to inform him that he meant to type Perth or somewhere else, but instead found it was true! This had never been a possibility. A comic event in Penrith?  I never could have imagined it when I was growing up.  Now a geek culture event was going to be held 5 minutes from my house. The link also mentioned Tom Taylor, writer of 'The Deep' would be a guest as well. The Deep is one of the best Australian produced comics (graphic novel) I have ever read.

I got there early on Sunday morning with my little sister Cara. By little I mean younger than me. She is about to finish year 12 and a great artist in her own right. I made sure to take my copy of  'Flash # 1' and 'the Deep', 'The Example' and 'Rocketeer #2' to be Signed by Tom Taylor. We had a wander around before we went to the comic book panel. I found it really enjoyable. All the artists and writers were intelligent and had a good sense of  humour. They shared lots of interesting thoughts and insights into making, producing comics and recounted how they entered the comics industry. Tom summed up the way I ( and I'm sure many others) feel about the comic art form nicely:


 "Comics are the greatest story telling medium in the world!"

 Society may slowly be waking up to this fact. I actually went to a teachers in-service yesterday which was focused on using graphic novels in the classroom. Finest examples of comics were on display including Bone, Yusagi Yojimbo and Maus. The presenter quoted Will Eisner and Scott Mcloud's works about reading/making comics. On a personal note it was gratifying to see the comic art form receive some validation.

After the panel I had my books signed and got to have a little chat with Tom and Brain. They were both very friendly and gracious. Hopefully I didn't geek out too much when speaking to them! I also had a few quick chats with some of the independent artists who were there including Silver Fox comics and James Gilarte. I looked at the convention with a dual perspective. I was enjoying it as an attendee but one day I could be at a table talking to people about my own independent comic. Who knows? Perhaps next year that may indeed be the case.

We caught up with our friend when he arrived and enjoyed the convention some more. We left in the afternoon and traveled back to my house to make comics! Isn't that what this is all about? Celebrating and participating in the things we enjoy with others who also enjoy the same things?