Thursday 21 April 2016

New Bolt Comic Launch at ComicGong 2016!


Newsflash: Subscribe to the Bolt Comics newsletter to get all the latest inside goss. Sign up here in time to receive the very first edition!

Fun fact: Bolt Comics derives it name from an old character created in the 90's. When I launched the Adventures in 2013 I realised I needed a comic brand logo to put in the top corner so  used the name Bolt never intending to use the character again and Bolt Comics was born!

Fast forward two years later. I had learnt a lot producing The Adventurers and was realising the potential of using more digital technology in my art beyond that of lettering. In fact by the time I was working on The Adventurers issue 4 I was getting frustrated with my traditional process and wanted to explore digital possibilities (including colour). I only held out in order to keep a consistent look to The Adventures first series.

I had the increasing urge to redo a Bolt Comic I had done way back in the 90's. I basically already had the layouts from the old comic and it would be a great way to experiment on an all digital comic making process. How hard could it be?

Micheal Stoneburner could testify that it wasn't that easy. He had read the original bolt story years ago and had even written a redux of the story for he and my brother Dan to collaborate on then. He was so excited about the Bolt I brought him on as a co-writer. We had a blast sitting writing the story and sharing future story ideas.

So after a year or more of showing little bit and pieces of The Bolt in progress on various social media platforms he is ready to fly again! For the past three years Bolt Comics has launched a new comic at ComicGong. This year the tradition continues with BOLT COMICS PRESENTS #1
Our first full colour comic featuring two stories: A Brigand's Tale: I wrote the story and  Dan drew the pictures (We haven't collaborated like that since the 90's either though I dare say this is the best collaboration we have ever done) and The Electrifying Bolt! We are very excited to release this book and hope you all enjoy it!