Wednesday 18 May 2016

The Electrifying Bolt gets a recharge.

As I mentioned in the last post the urge to draw a new Bolt comic was not going to go away. Of course the first thing to do was test the character's design. Here is the original in all it's 90's over-rendered-cross-hatched glory:




Here are some redesigns I considered. I was toying with the idea of goggles to emphasize the humorous aspect of the hero. When I showed my brother Dan he said it's too Golden age and that he liked the original design. I agreed and in hindsight the design was a little too much like the original Blue Beetle costume.

                   


And here is how the Bolt appears in the Bolt Comics Presents #1. So it's basically the original costume design sans the pointy shoulder things.


Yes, I guess I am sentimental as the first panel is a homage to the original comic. More on  page by page comparisons in another post.